Saturday, July 21, 2012

My age

About one or two posts ago I mentioned I was 20 years old. I have probably suffered enough for five lifetimes, look like a twelve year old, and act like an eighty year old with sporadic 8 year old moments. Is age really just a number?

I used to feel like it meant everything, like it defined you. Age to me was like a curved scale: first the older you got the smarter/cooler/more life experiences you lived, but then you hit 60s and you get weak/unhealthy/wrinkly. Oh was I wrong! My parents are the first people that blew up my theory, they look young, especially my mom(she works out), but they are old enough to be my grandparents(if my mom got pregnant at the age of 16-18)! Maybe they are to blame for my young appearance... Then when I was younger I always looked up to my older cousins, I thought they were so cool and way smarter, but the thing is none of them ever took school as serious as I do. In terms of being cool they definitely beat me, but I blame that on my nerdy/socially awkward personality. Sometimes the inner kid (Yomarita) in me strikes and because my childhood lacked siblings (my parents were my friends) and I could not play with all the able bodied kids (since I was in regular classes because of my brain), I get whiny/high maintenance or resort to comfort food now as an adult (chocolate will you marry me?). The very few friends I did make actually accepted me for who I am, disabled and all. Don't get me wrong, being the only girl in a wheelchair in school definitely got me noticed, but my peers were more acquaintances than real friends. I did however get along with teachers very well, and to this day I am usually one of their favorite students. The thing is I act so mature most of the time that teachers are more of my friends than my peers.

So I'm kind of conflicted between my alter ego age personas...but if appearance were to be the only factor then I would always be a kid. I guess it will be a positive thing when I get old! Until then, I am blessed to live another day! :)

Adios readers,
Yomara & Yomarita :)

No comments:

Post a Comment