Wednesday, July 11, 2012

In the media

People in wheelchairs do not show up often in the media, which is why when they do I think they deserve a round of applause. I know it's typical to show up on the news, like a cliche inspirational story, and those people totally deserve their 15 minutes of fame, but then there are actual characters that are fit for the wheelchair role. My favorite, and probably most accurate, is Artie from the show "Glee", granted he is not disabled in real life, but his acting is very good. I am really proud of Ryan Murphy for adding in disabilities to society's viewing shows, because it really shows people with disabilities are everywhere. I also admire "Switched at Birth" a show that incorporates Sign language because several of the characters have hearing/speech impediments. "Push Girls" is a reality show about 5 quadriplegic women who live in California. All these shows are informing society about the limitations/obstacles that some people have to overcome, and how even with our physical differences we all have something to contribute on this planet. So there are my two cents, and if your favorite show is on break and you need something to fill your time with, check out the above shows (I know able bodied people who like to watch them, not just me). Well, I'm going to watch some "Glee" because it fills me with glee! :)

Adios readers,
Yomara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment