Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Winter Quarter 2012

It's crazy to think that Winter Quarter was almost a year ago, but either way I am reflecting on it now. My biggest mistake of that quarter was Burlesque, no really that was the one class in all my years of education that I most regret.  It was just not for me, I'm a shy and not-okay-with-nudity person and although the class was titled feminism, it definitely did not feel like it.  My friend, also in a wheelchair took the class with me and the looks we both received were priceless.  We were required to make pasties (nope not pastries, you read correctly...pasties) as well as watch our fellow classmates perform.  It was the most awkward experience ever.  My so-called social experiment on the world regarding their reaction to two girls in wheelchairs was pretty much an epic fail because the class itself was so awkward.  Nonetheless, my friend definitely made the class bearable and we just laughed at the pity and awkward looks.  Even though I did not particularly enjoy the class, my friend has started a pasties-making business and has extended her creativity, so yay for her. :)

On the bright side my other two classes were very enjoyable, stressful and intense, but very rewarding in the educational department.  I took Media Across Cultures and a Social Movement class, both of these classes made me see that as individuals who participate in social media we can have a huge impact in this world.  These classes just made me much more aware of how much I use social media, like this blog, and what it can be used for, not just the conventional, as well as the pros and cons.  Knowledge is definitely power! Stay tuned for my Spring Quarter post!!!

Adios readers,
Yomara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment